International students often need an official letter for various reasons, most commonly:
- Stating good standing at UMBC or current enrollment
- Inviting family or friends to visit the US
- Letter of ineligibility for an SSN if trying to apply for a driver’s license without an SSN
The IES can provide official letters for international students that are related to your enrollment, and your immigration status. Please note we cannot provide letters that confirm information we don’t have access to, such as billing information.
General letter requests
To request a letter, please provide the following in an email sent to email@example.com.
- The kind of letter you need, including any specific details that you need to be included
- If you prefer an electronic or a hard copy letter – can we will provide ONE of these, we can’t provide both!
Please allow up to one week for your letter to be drafted. You will be contacted by email with your electronic letter attached once its ready, or if its a hard copy letter we will email you to let you know when it is ready to pick up from the IES office. You can also request to have it mailed within the US – just be sure to include the best mailing address in your email request.
Invitation letters for family and friends visiting the US
For citizens of most countries, visitors to the US will need to apply for a B-2 visitor visa. Please see our website for inviting family and friends to visit for more information on the B-2 visitor visa and which countries are exempt from this visa requirement.
*Please note you will need to provide a letter of invitation following the guidelines detailed there, but you can also request a supplemental letter from IES indicating that you are a current student in good F-1 immigration standing, and, if you are inviting family or friends for graduation, that you are expected to graduate.
- Full name, as it appears on the passport, of each individual you will invite, and their relationship to you. Please make it clear which is the first name and last name.
- Rough idea of when and why they will come to visit (for example, in May for graduation, over the summer for vacation, etc)
- If you prefer a hard copy or an electronic copy (please choose one). Please remember this will only be one piece of many other documents you will need to send your potential visitors, so you can decide if you prefer a hard copy or electronic copy based on how you plan to send your own document copies.