Skip to Main Content

Checking in with UMBC and Maintaining J-1 Status

To stay in lawful J-1 status in the United States, you must remember these important requirements:

  • Report to IES within 30 Days of the DS-2019 Start Date
    It is REQUIRED BY LAW that you come to the Office of International Education Services (IES) when you first arrive at UMBC whether it is your first time in the United States or if you are transferring from another U.S. institution. Please schedule an appointment to check-in with the IES upon your arrival to UMBC. Failure to check-in with the IES could result in the automatic inactivation of your J-1 SEVIS record. When you come to check-in, bring your passport, I-94 card, proof of health insurance, and DS-2019 form.
  • Update Your Local Address
    The immigration regulations require you to update your local residential address within 10 days of moving within the U.S. You are required to use a physical residential address and NOT a P.O. box or a department address. Please notify the IES by email. If you are a university employee, please see UMBC Human Resources‘ website for information about updating your address with the University, Central Payroll Bureau and benefits providers.
  • Maintain Health Insurance
    The Department of State requires J-1 Exchange Visitors, and their dependents, have adequate health insurance for the duration of the J-1 status.All J-1 visitors must demonstrate proof of insurance for themselves and any J-2 dependents at the time of arrival at UMBC. The IES Office will not validate your SEVIS record without proof of insurance for the length of your DS-2019. 
  • Keep your passport valid
    You should keep your passport valid for at least six months into the future while you are in the United States. Consult your country’s consulate or embassy in the U.S. to renew your passport. You can find the contact information for your consulate at
  • Plan Ahead for J-1 Extension
    The end date of your J-1 status can be found in section #3 of the DS-2019 (not the end date of your visa stamp). If your appointment at UMBC will continue beyond this date you will need to request an extension of your J-1 status. The extension request must happen before the DS-2019 date of expiration. The IES recommends starting the extension process a minimum of two to three months before the DS-2019 expires.
  • Discuss Transfer Plans with IES
    If you plan to transfer to another institution during or after your program at UMBC, IES will need to assist you with transferring your J-1 SEVIS record. Please come to IES BEFORE the end of your program to discuss the transfer process.
  • Never Work Off-campus Without Prior Authorization
    J-1 scholars sponsored by UMBC may only work in the position, and for the department, indicated on their DS-2019 form. If you decide to change positions or sponsoring departments, contact IES before making this change. Additional incidental employment, short-term lectures, consultations, etc. must first be approved by UES.
  • Notify IES When You Leave the U.S. or Change Visa Status
    When you finish your program and leave the U.S. permanently or change to another visa status, please notify IES
  • Traveling Outside the United States
    Please visit our Traveling Outside the United States page for more information.
  • Program Completion and Departing the U.S.
    J-1 Exchange Visitors must depart the U.S. within 30 days of the DS-2019 program end date, unless the J-1 has applied for a change of status or has transferred his or her J-1 status to another institution before the end of the 30-day grace period.