To stay in legal J-1 status in the United States, you must follow these important requirements. Please contact the IES Office if you have any questions!
Enter the country in the correct J-1 status
- Present your DS-2019 and visa stamp to immigration official to ensure you are entered in J-1 status correctly.
- Even if you have a valid B-1 visa or are eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, it is important that you always enter in J-1 status to maintain this status. If you do not enter in the correct status, you will need to leave the U.S. and reenter.
Check-In with IES within 30 Days of the DS-2019 Start Date
- Please schedule an appointment to check-in with the IES upon your arrival to UMBC – contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- When you come to check-in, bring your passport, I-94 card, proof of health insurance, and DS-2019 form.
Maintain valid immigration documents
- Your passport should be valid for at least 6 months into the future at all times.
- Your DS-2019 dates should be valid. Apply a DS-2019 extension before the expiration date.
- Your visa stamp must be valid for entry into the U.S. It is not a problem if the visa stamp expires while in the U.S.
- Access your Electronic I-94 record online each time you enter the U.S. and save it for your records.
Maintain accurate records
If your residential address changes, email email@example.com within 10 days.
Follow J-1 Work Rules Carefully
Understand the J-1 Work Rules, and do not work if it is not allowed by these rules!