Skip to Main Content

Transfer your I-20 out of UMBC

For F-1 international students, you can transfer your SEVIS record, which means your I-20 and the electronic record that goes with it, to other schools you will attend in F-1 immigration status.  Only one school can hold your SEVIS record and I-20 at once, and that should always be the school you are currently attending.

You might transfer your I-20 before you complete your degree, after you graduate, or after OPT.

If you will leave UMBC to go to another school, we can transfer your SEVIS record to that new school.  Then, the new school will prepare a new I-20 for you with the same SEVIS ID, but with the new school information, new financial information, and new set of dates and academic program information.  You will NOT need a new visa stamp for this transfer, and you will NOT need to pay the SEVIS fee again.


Required Documents to Transfer your SEVIS record from UMBC to a New School

  1. Complete and submit the required I-20 transfer form, found here: I-20 Transfer OUT form.  Please note, this form can be completed and submitted electronically, but works best on a PC and in the Google Chrome browser.  You can also print the form and complete it by hand if you prefer.
    *This form will ask you for a Transfer date – We can schedule a transfer for any date after you complete your last class at UMBC, or after you complete your OPT if you are working on OPT.  Please note, transferring your I-20 ends any OPT, CPT or on-campus work you are doing through your UMBC I-20!
    If you are travelling internationally after leaving UMBC, but before beginning at your new school, please be sure to speak with an IES adviser to plan for a smooth return to the US.
  2. Proof of admission – Before we can transfer your I-20 to a new school, we have to confirm that you are admitted to that school.  This is usually a copy or emailed copy of your admission letter or an emailed notification of your admission from the new school.
  3. Transfer I-20 form from the new school – Most schools have a short form they ask your old school to complete for you when you transfer your I-20, so that they know some background information about your immigration status.  The new school should let you know if they have a form like this.  There is a typically a section for you to complete at the top, so read the directions before you give IES a copy of the form and fill out any section you need to first.



If you are transferring your I-20 to a new school after finishing your studies at UMBC, or after OPT, please note that your MUST transfer your I-20 before your I-20 end date or OPT end date, plus the 60 days grace period.  Your I-20 cannot be transferred after the 60 days, so please act accordingly!

You should complete the transfer of your I-20 to the new school before you start classes there.


Next Steps

Besides the IES office, if you have not already graduated you should plan to let your academic adviser know of your decision to leave UMBC.

If you are registered for a future semester but have changed your plans and will not be attending, it is your responsibility to drop your classes before the deadlines, found here, in order to get a full refund.

After your I-20 transfer has been completed by UMBC IES, you should reach out to the international adviser at your new school to find out the requirements to get your new I-20 from them, which typically include updated proof of funding and photocopies of your immigration documents.