Your I-20 program dates, noted in the “Program of study” section on your I-20 (item #5 on the older format of the I-20), indicate the average amount of time it takes to complete your degree type. However, students sometimes need additional time to complete their degree program and graduate, for a variety of reasons. This is not a problem, but you will need to apply for an I-20 program extension to have your I-20 updated.
Deadlines – Please note that your I-20 can only be extended until the current end date! After the end date, your I-20 is not able to be extended, so please plan carefully! The IES office sends you a few reminders as your I-20 end date approaches, as a courtesy, but please note this is your responsibility!
Process to Apply:
- Login to your IES Portal
- Click on “Search Forms” in the top right corner of the page
- Choose the relevant application – Program Extension (F-1)
- Read the directions and complete all sections of the application
- The application requires the support of your academic adviser. Please follow the directions under the “Recommendations” section to invite your adviser to provide their support electronically.
- Only click submit after you have uploaded all requirements.
- IES staff will review your application and contact you within 2-3 business days after your adviser recommendation is received.
Extensions can be requested for any amount of time that is supported by your academic adviser as necessary to complete your program.
The required financial documentation is written support from your financial sponsor for the additional period of time for which you are applying for an extension. For Graduate Assistants, a short letter of continued support from your GA supervisor or a new contract are acceptable.