Skip to Main Content

Change of Education or Degree Level

A “Change of Education Level” means you will continue your studies at UMBC, but are starting a new degree program.  This could be English students beginning a degree program, Bachelor’s degree students transitioning to Master’s, or Master’s students transitioning to PhD’s.

Since you will remain at UMBC in this situation to start your new degree program, the process to adjust your I-20 for this new program is relatively simple.


Change of Education Level Requirements

  • First, you must be admitted to the new program or degree you plan to pursue
  • Next, you need to prepare updated proof of available funding for the new degree program.  You can find more details on the funding requirements here.   For students with scholarships from their home governments, please note that you will need an updated Financial Guarantee or Scholarship offer, specific to the new degree program, from your scholarship organization before we can make a new I-20 for you.


Timeline and Deadlines

After you are admitted to your new program, you can begin preparing the financial documents.  However, we cannot prepare a new I-20 for you until you complete your current program, except in unusual circumstances.

Please note, you MUST work with us to get your new I-20 before your current I-20 end date, plus the 60 day grace period.