COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
UMBC is open. The physical campus is closed, but courses are now online and employees are working remotely.
Skip to Main Content

Transfer out during OPT


Students who want to begin a new degree program in F-1 status are welcome to transfer to another school to being that program, or begin that program at UMBC.  Students in F-1 status will need to transfer their I-20 to the new school of their choice.  Please find the requirements for transferring your I-20 to a new school here, and the requirements for changing to a new degree program at UMBC here.

Please note that your OPT authorization is connected to your UMBC I-20.  Transferring your I-20 during OPT will end your OPT automatically. The unused OPT time cannot be regained for use at another time – it is simply forfeited.

Please also note that students on OPT cannot begin a new degree program in the US while on OPT – your I-20 must be transferred to begin a new degree program.  Coursework outside of a degree can be pursued during OPT, such as coursework for personal enjoyment, a certificate program, or preparatory courses, such as pre-requisites, for a new degree program.