Skip to Main Content

Transfer your I-20 to UMBC

For students that are already in the US in F-1 status, if you plan to begin your studies at UMBC you can simply transfer your current I-20 to UMBC.  Your SEVIS ID will stay the same, but your I-20 will change to reflect the new school, new academic program, and new funding information.  

After you are admitted to UMBC, you will need to work with your most recent school to release your SEVIS record (your I-20 record) to UMBC.  Your current school will need a copy of your admission letter, and the UMBC I-20 transfer form.

After your SEVIS record has been transferred to UMBC, the IES office at UMBC will need to receive the following before we can make your new I-20 for you:

  • Copies of all previous I-20s (you do not need to copy the rules page)
  • Copy of your passport biography page and visa stamp
  • A copy of your I-94 card or printed record (print your I-94 record here)
  • Proof of Financial Support (Letter or affidavit of support from financial sponsor, and bank statement showing required  balance – see details here 

You must submit these documents to IES before our office can issue a new I-20 form. You may receive an I-20 that indicates “transfer pending” and later another I-20 that says “continued attendance” after the semester begins. Please be sure to get your “continued attendance” I-20 within 30 days after the semester begins, though we should be contacting you about this.


Deadlines to Transfer

  • Your I-20 MUST be transferred to UMBC before your current I-20 end date, plus 60 days.  After these 60 days, your I-20 will automatically expire and cannot be transferred.
  • Your I-20 should be transferred to UMBC before the start of the semester in which you will begin your studies
  • Please note that you must begin your studies at UMBC in the next available semester, which can be up to 5 months after your previous I-20 end date.


Travel Abroad

If you will travel abroad before joining UMBC, we encourage you to get your new UMBC I-20 before travelling to avoid complications upon re-entry.   You can return to the US with a “transfer pending” I-20.

If you cannot get your new I-20 before leaving the US, we can work with you via email to receive the required documents, and you can request your new I-20 to be shipped to you using our shipping service.  Please note you will need your new I-20 to return to the US.


Renewing your visa

If you will need to renew your visa while abroad, you will need your UMBC “transfer pending” I-20, which will prove that you have been admitted to a new program and shows the date range in which you are expected to graduate.  Please contact our office for additional information about renewing your visa at


Note concerning the MVA

Transferring your I-20 sometimes causes issues with renewing your driver’s license at the MVA.  If you need to renew your driver’s license with a “transfer pending” I-20, we recommend you submit a SAVE Verification Request in advance of your visit to the MVA.  Please note in the Comments section that you are currently transferring to a new school, and please wait to receive an approval on your verification request before your visit to the MVA.


International Orientation

All F-1 students new to UMBC are expected to attend the International Rules and Policy Meeting (IRPM) in addition to Undergraduate or Graduate Orientation.  More information is available here.