You will need your original I-20 when you attend your visa interview and enter the US, so you will need to have the I-20 shipped to you abroad. Please note, UMBC does not mail I-20’s internationally through regular mail. All international shipments must go through the eShip Global shipping service.
Please do NOT place a shipping order until you have received a draft I-20 from IES and verified the information on it!
eShip Global Shipping Service
All International shipping from the IES office is handled through our shipping partner, eShip Global’s University Express Mail Services, or UEMS. This service allows you to create a shipment order to receive your documents. For new students requesting an I-20, this service is at no cost to you. Documents typically arrive 3-5 business days after your shipment leaves our office.
Create Your eShip Account
Again, please do NOT create an account until you have received an email from the IES office confirming that your I-20 is ready. We will send a draft of your I-20 for your review via the IES Portal – please make sure the information is correct before you place your shipping order.
To request the shipment of your documents, please visit eShip Global’s website, https://study.eshipglobal.com, to create an account.
You must use the Web site provided above – please do not go through DHL, UPS or FedEx directly, as this will delay the shipment and cost more. eShip Global allows you to enter your own shipment information, to ensure the address and other details are accurate and will reach you without a problem. Once you order the shipment, our office will receive notification and will arrange for the pick-up of your package by DHL, UPS or FedEx. You can then track the progress of the package through your eShip Global account.
Place a Shipment Order:
- Create and activate your eShip Students/Scholars account
- On the homepage select “Receive Documents from University”
- For “Step 1 – Select University”: select “University of Maryland – Baltimore County”
- For “Step 2 – Department Selection”:
- New students requesting an I-20: select “New Students Only”
- Current or graduated UMBC Students: select “Current Students and Graduates”
- *Please be sure to make the appropriate choice as failure to do so will delay document shipment*
- For “Step 3 – Shipment Creation”:
- Enter your Campus ID – this is your 7 digit UMBC Student ID number (ex: AB11111). You can find it on your admission letter
- Your address is automatically generated based on your e-ship profile. Please review it to ensure accuracy
- Select the document to be mailed. For new students, it would be an I-20
- For “Step 4 – Carrier Selection, Cost and Transit Time”:
- Review your address and select your preferred carrier
- If everything is accurate, select “Continue”
- After placing your shipment order, you can return to your eShip account to track the status of your shipment. Documents typically arrive 3-5 business days after your shipment leaves our office
Please pay close attention to the information submitted, as submitting incorrect department or address information will result in a delay in the mailing of your documents.
If you experience any difficulty in registering and processing the shipment, please use the eShipGlobal/UEMS “Help” link for step by step instructions. If you have additional questions about how to use this service, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shipments to Iran
UMBC has worked with eShip Global and we are approved to mail packages to Iran through DHL courier service, though please note these often take longer than the typical 3-5 business day delivery time.
UMBC only offers international shipments through eShip Global because regular mail to many other countries is extremely slow and unreliable, and sensitive immigration documents such as an I-20 can be lost, stolen or delayed. eShip offers tracking, so students can plan appropriately for their visa appointments and all the other next steps that depend on the receipt of the I-20.
Shipping Within the US
Documents that need to be mailed within the US will be mailed via regular mail at UMBC’s expense. Expedited domestic shipping can also be ordered through eShip.
If you are currently abroad and have a contact in the US that you would like your documents mailed to, please email our office at email@example.com and we will be happy to mail your documents accordingly.