An I-20 is the name of an immigration document required to apply for an F-1 visa. The I-20 is issued by an individual school in the US, and includes a summary of all relevant information for the school and student, including the dates you are anticipated to be enrolled in the degree program at that school and how you will cover the costs of your education in the US.
While an I-20 includes three pages, the first page has the information that is relevant for new students. A sample I-20 can be found here: Sample I-20
IES will work with all admitted Graduate and Undergraduate international students on all matters related to the I-20. Students outside the US will receive a new I-20, and students already in the US will work with IES to transfer their existing I-20 to UMBC.
To make an I-20 for you, the school you have been admitted to must verify that you have been admitted; that your personal information is correct; and that you have adequate funding to cover the costs of your education in the US.
We will need to receive a copy of your valid passport, and proof of financial support. Please click the appropriate link below to see our specific financial requirements:
Requesting a UMBC I-20
Once admitted, you will receive an email from our office directing you to complete a New Student Request application. To do so please:
- Create and activate your myUMBC Account – please allow a minimum of 24 hours after account creation to log in to the IES Portal
- Log in to the IES Portal Homepage using your myUMBC username and password*
- Click the “Search Forms” button
- On the forms page, select “New F-1 Student Request”
- Select your term. If you will start in January, select “Spring, 2020” as your term and click “Create”
- Review the “Instructions” section for required documents to submit
- Upload required documents in the “Attached Documents” section
- Complete “Dependent Request” and “Student: Immigration Information” in the “Questionnaires” section
- Transfer students ONLY: If you are already in the U.S. on an F-1 Visa, complete the “Recommendations” section
- Click the “Submit” button at the top of the page
- Once you have submitted an application please allow 2-3 business days for review. At that time, you will receive an email with your draft I-20 for your review and instructions on placing a shipping order and other next steps
For step by step screenshots of the process, click here: I-20 Request Tutorial
*To create your myUMBC account:
– Visit UMBC WebAdmin
– Click “Create My Account” (you will need your date of birth and UMBC Campus ID: EF81414)
Note on Health Insurance
F-1 students at UMBC are required to be enrolled in a US Health Insurance plan. All F-1 UMBC students are automatically enrolled in UMBC’s Health Insurance plan upon registration each semester. Please plan for these expenses as noted in the information above. For more information on UMBC’s Health Insurance plan, and the requirements to try to waive this plan and use another US plan, please review the information here.