Skip to Main Content

For Departments

The IES Office is happy to help you understand your options in hiring international individuals to positions at UMBC!  Our office can help you consider the immigration options you have for your new international hire, specifically in the following categories:

  • F-1 student/graduate (includes OPT)
  • J-1 student, scholar, researcher or post-doctoral researcher
  • H-1b specialized worker
  • Permanent Resident

Please explore the links to the left to get started.  The “International Hires” page summarizes your options, so you can get an idea of which category might be the best fit.  Very specific information about each category is also available.

With questions, please contact us at