Skip to Main Content

F-1 Transfer Student Information for Spring 2021 semester

This Spring 2021 semester, students transferring their I-20 to UMBC will have different experiences depending on whether you are outside the U.S. or inside the U.S. as of Winter 2021.


Students INSIDE the U.S. as of Winter 2021:

If you are already in the US, your I-20 transfer to UMBC will follow the standard I-20 transfer directions, here: 

Please read your enrollment options and considerations for these options, work options, and more in more detail here:


Students OUTSIDE the U.S. as of Winter 2021:

If you are currently outside of the U.S., you will only be able to return to the U.S. to take courses at UMBC that are NOT entirely online.  UMBC’s academic departments have committed to making non-online options available to any international student that needs them – please work with your department or academic adviser to enroll appropriately.

You will need to follow the directions here to ask your current school to transfer your I-20 to UMBC, and provide the documents you need to get your UMBC I-20:

We can then prepare your UMBC I-20, and a letter indicating that you will NOT enroll in only online classes.  You will need to enter the US for the Spring 2021 semester by the semester start date of January 25,2021, and will need your new UMBC I-20 and letter confirming you will NOT enroll entirely online to return to the U.S.

If you prefer to remain outside of the U.S. for Spring 2021, please let us know at so we can discussion options specific to your situation.




<<  Back to Main COVID-19 page and Table of Contents